Saturday, May 17, 2014

John 14:1-12 - I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life (Fifth Sunday After Easter, May 18, 2014)

(c) Sten Porse, CC-BY 3
This gospel passage takes place during the Last Supper.  The disciples are anxious because Jesus, just a few verse earlier was saying goodbye: "My children, I will be with you only a little while longer" (John 13:33).  The disciples were probably also wondering what would happen when Jesus leaves.  The evangelist John makes use of this scenario to expound on the theology of who Jesus is vis-a-vis who God is, in the following verses:

1. "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father" (14:9) - God who is incomprehensible and invisible has become understandable in the life, words and works of a physical human being -- Jesus Christ.  How can God better communicate who God is but through someone in real flesh and blood, and actually talked and walked on earth?

We all talk to our dogs through "dog commands."  My wife would, for example, say: "Pepper, make peepee outside."  Somehow, after many repetitions, Pepper would figure that (what sounded to it as a series of gibberish sounds) means that she has to go outside to do her thing.  But we all know that Pepper didn't understand the English and partly understood the gibberish.  If my wife wanted to be fully understood by Pepper, she would have to, well, speak in "dog language" (which would be difficult, if not impossible).

It is the same with God.  Prior to Jesus, God (or Yahweh) spoke to us INDIRECTLY -- through thunder and lightning, the prophets, and the events that happened to the Jewish people.  God was speaking to us through "divine language" which we sometimes partly understood, or misunderstood.  To fully communicate with us unmistakably, God became like one of us through Jesus, so that God can now speak with us through human language, and through the life of someone just like us.

So, if you want to know who (or what) God is, know Jesus.

2. "I am the way, the truth and the life" (14:6).  - During the last supper, the disciples were probably asking what will happen to their cause to overthrow the Romans; and who will take Jesus' place as the messiah from the oppressive colonialists.  Jesus, instead, provides the answers to the theological questions in their hearts and minds: what happens after life, what do I do in this life, what can I do to be with God.

Jesus answers by saying:

- there are "many houses", i.e. there is room for everyone, the Kingdom of God is meant to include as many as possible.

- "I am the way, the truth, and the life" - The way to the Father is not an esoteric secret; it is simply Jesus' message of love, forgiveness and prayer.  This is because the life of Jesus reflects the fullness of revelation (truth) and the fullness of what living is all about (life).

- "Whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do GREATER ONES THAN THESE."  Wow, isn't that something?  Jesus says that we will do greater things than He did.  This is possible so long as Jesus lives among us and is the guiding principle behind what we do.

Reference:

- Nil Guillemette, SJ, Hungry No More (Makati: St. Paul's Publications, 1989), pp. 185-189.

-----

John 14:1-12

Jesus said to his disciples: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. Where I am going, you know the way.”

Thomas said to him, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

Philip said to him, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father.”

No comments: